June 7, 2006
Minutes of the Chamber Tourism Committee 8:30 a.m. – 10:30 a.m.
Attending: Carol Schupp, Mike Green, Arlene Borchers, Stan Moore, Jene Crook, Bill Orendorff, Rose Anne Poole, Cynthia Crawford
Committee officers beginning 7/1/06
Chair – Stan Moore
Poole Advertising will collection information (words) for brochures
Green Printing – working on photography and layout of brochures
The committee really appreciates the way Poole and Greens are sharing information
In 2007 consider:
Rose Anne gave a website preview. Committee is excited.
Committee asked Rose Anne to buy up 10 website URL’s
Rose Anne will develop e-mail address(es) and capacity. Suggest ________@MarshallMO.com
Consider using a playful dog theme for website???
8:30 a.m. at the Saline County Extension Center
June 20th – after hours 5:30 – 7 p.m. Rose Anne please bring the Where’s Jim buttons. After hours to be at Jim Park.
Many thanks to all attending.
Stan Moore questioned whether we might not want to just do one brochure this year since we are getting such a late start. Bill and Jene suggested that because everything is not year specific that we could go ahead and not be concerned that because it could run through early 2007 until the next version is printed.
We might also want to consider a simple one color tear off type of map in leiu of the more costly full color locator brochure. General consensus was to move forward with both as planned and see where we are in another month. Mike Green is concerned about making the August 1 deadline because he has not received any copy and some of the photos cannot be taken yet and the photos available from the newspaper and other sources have not been of sufficient quality to use. Suggestions for other places to contact (Ie MVC) was made. Mike will follow up.
Mike Green would like more direction on what is to be included. He shared his layout so far and they looked very good. Rose Anne suggested that they would want to look at the typefaces and make them the same as the website or vice versa. Mike will send file of brochure to Poole for reference. Rose Anne also suggested that they might want to use the leafy border treatment on the website for continuity. Stan Moore suggested showing something on the cover collage that is more special visually than what is in the layout which includes the courthouse, Jim the wonderdog statue and a historic home. Rose Anne suggested a more active shot such as a rearing horse from the rodeo or the cornhusking event. Mike was in agreement. Carol Schupp had photos from the Chamber album which may be appropriate.
Big Question: How and who will contact non-chamber members for inclusion in the brochure/website? Carol and Rose Anne have started this process. Carol submitted a copy of the Chamber membership list. Rose Anne will go over it and get a list to Carol of who the letters need to go to. Rose Anne will draft the letter along the lines of the form found on the Sedalia website for information. with a sample blurb for reference. Carol will send out and receive answers.
Request to Ministerial Alliance to organize some kind of church list guide for motels to use. Tourism brochure and website will reference this resource for visitors. Rose Anne will follow up with Alliance. Chamber has brochure at present but needs help ensuring it has current information and with distribution.
With regard to photography issues, we can use stock photography where appropriate. Committee would like to see Marshall sign somewhere on the brochure and on the website. Chamber has some nice photos with and without people.
Mike has the map finished and included in his layout. Files will be sghared with Poole Advertising. Committee was pleased with progress on both projects. Cynthia suggested that we may want to be more playful with each as it is appropriate. Committee talked about adding running dog, dog tracks, witty sayings such as “If you are not headed for Marshall, you are barking up the wrong tree.” We remembered that some of these should be in the notes from previious meetings. Rose Anne will pull those for use.
June 20th is the date for the Kick Off After Hours at Jim the Wonder Dog Park. Food has been ordered. Jene suggested that we should double-check availabity to be certain. There was some discussion of moving it to the Historical Museum instead of City Hall in case of inclement weather but it was decided that would not avail enough space. Carol has not contacted the windery yet. She did not know what the arrangement would be for payment. Committee suggested that it be a tasting and product could be available. Carol will contact them. Poole will have a large logo for display. Hard copies of the website or some other information to encourage people to check it out might be included. Stan was unclear about what would actually transpire at the event. Bill said that Connie will be the program and she is agreeed to that. Otherwise it will be a regular After Hours with mingling, food, introduction of the logo and concepts.
Bill mentioned that we have focused on these information pieces to the exclusion of all other tourism promotion. He assured Arline Borchers, who has been our contact with the Booneslick Tourism group, that we want to do a better job of working with that organization in the future. We hope that after this first draft of the brochure and website are done, we will be able to look at other venues as well. We want to do as much collaborative promotion as is feasible.
The committee selected officers:
Next meeting 8:30 June 12th. following Chamber Board meeting.
Click any of the links below for previous Tourism Planning Reports
calendar of events / tourism planning reports / privacy / email us